Men’s soccer wins two, remains undefeated

The men’s soccer team maintained their spotless record with two victories this past week. The win moves their record to a perfect 5–0 as they approach their University Athletic Association (UAA) games.

The Tartans defeated Penn State Altoona 2–1 at home Wednesday thanks to a late goal from sophomore forward Patrick Lutz. On Saturday, the team blanked Mount Union 3–0 in Gesling Stadium.

On Wednesday, Lutz scored the game-winning goal in the 88th minute with the score deadlocked at one after Altoona tied the game nine minutes earlier. Carnegie Mellon first-year midfielder Adam Bogus passed the ball into the box and Lutz, from behind the Lions defender, one-timed a shot that found the back of the net for his third goal of the season.

“Bogus played the ball,” Lutz said. “I guess there was some confusion between what the goalie and the defender were going to do and they hesitated. I just tried to kick it around him, get my foot around the defender and it just went into the back of the net. I saw a glimpse of it and got a foot on it.”

Earlier in the game the Tartans opened the scoring when sophomore midfielder Ryan Browne sent a through ball from the middle of the field to sophomore forward Ricky Griffin streaking down the right side. Griffin laced a low shot past Lions goalkeeper Brandon McQuillen just inside the far post to give the Tartans the advantage in the 12th minute.

In an action-packed 79th minute with the Tartans clinging to a 1–0 lead, Penn State Altoona was awarded a penalty kick after a hand ball by Carnegie Mellon in the penalty box. Tartan junior goalkeeper Matthew Bazin turned away the penalty kick from Altoona’s Bryan Pierzga to preserve the shutout — at least temporarily; the ball was cleared over the end-line by the Tartans. On the ensuing corner kick, the Lions netted the equalizer as Pierzga’s header sent the ball sailing into the near side of the goal.

“I could see a fire lit in our team after they tied the game,” senior defender Christopher Watts said. “Instead of us getting down, I could tell everyone wanted it more because we got a little lazy after our first goal [and] let them get back in the game. Everyone stepped up their play in order to get this win.”

“I think this win means a lot for this team,” Watts said. “We’re a young team and we’re starting new. It’s nice for them to get over the hurdle before they even know what the hurdle is. They don’t have to go into this game thinking that this is going to stop our season like it stopped our season the past couple years. It’s a very big win for this young team this early in the season.”

“It gives us confidence to know you can still beat a team even if you’re a little bit behind,” Lutz said.

On Saturday against Mount Union, Browne netted the first goal of the game in the 30th minute when he laced a free kick from 24 yards out nicely into the top right corner of the goal. Griffin and Browne converted a give-and-go leading up to Browne getting fouled.

Sophomore midfielder Jonathan Hall cushioned the lead for the Tartans with a header into the goal in the 88th minute. Hall deflected a header by junior midfielder Al Penksa.

Just 46 seconds later, Griffin put his fifth goal of the season away as he slipped a shot past Mount Union goalkeeper Matt Mazzolini after sophomore forward Keith Haselhoff beat a defender and put a shot off the post.

The Carnegie Mellon men’s soccer team will be in action again tomorrow when they host the Grove City Wolverines. The game is at 7:30 p.m.