Women’s soccer shines at home 6–0; falls on the road 2–0

The Carnegie Mellon women’s soccer team hosted the Washington & Jefferson Presidents last Wednesday and visited the Washington (Mo.) University Bears Sunday. The Tartans split the two games to put their record at 5–4 for the season.

On Wednesday, heavy rains soaked the field at Gesling Stadium, but that didn’t dampen the spirit of the women’s soccer team as they rolled to a 6–0 victory over W & J. Following a two-hour rain delay, Carnegie Mellon took the field and struck the Presidents early.

The first Tartan goal came in the eighth minute of play as junior forward Abby Coffin one-timed the ball off the crossbar. Seniors Amanda Rose and Kasey Stever assisted in the play. This was just the beginning as Coffin went on to score four goals on the night, a new Carnegie Mellon record for goals scored by a single player.

As the rain fell harder, Coffin scored her second goal in the 17th minute, with an assist from sophomore Casey Garth. Coffin crossed over from the left, beat the keeper, and put the ball away. First-year midfielder Valerie Corvino went on to score the final goal of the first period on a breakaway as she whizzed by three Presidents defenders, including the goalie, before tapping in the team’s third goal.

A corner kick from Rose followed by a header right past W & J goalie Jackie Foltz resulted in Coffin’s third, and the team’s fourth, goal of the night. Rose netted her second assist for the game.

Less than two minutes later, Coffin finished off her night after the team quickly stole a pass off the drop ball and rushed right back to the opposing goalie box. Coffin gained control off a Corvino pass, dribbled around the goalkeeper, and finished the job with an easy put away.

Corvino finished off the Tartan scoring in the 66th minute as she turned her second breakaway of the night into her second goal of the night when she beat Foltz with a chip shot over into the top of the net. Kate Smith was credited with an assist on the play.

Carnegie Mellon first-year goalkeeper Anya Rosen nearly lost the shutout around the 70th minute of play. With 10 players jumbled within 10 yards of the Tartans’ net, a President midfielder gained possession from about 5 yards out and rifled a shot to the left corner of the net, but Rosen was able to dive and deflect the ball out of bounds.

“It was definitely a full team effort and easily the best offensive effort we’ve had all year,” Coffin said, when asked about her record-breaking night.
Head coach Sue Willard was also very pleased with the effort her team put forth. “I wasn’t concerned about the rain delay because coming out of the locker room we were real focused and ready,” she said. “This was also the first game where we had the opportunity to use all our players and I was happy with how each player was dangerous and made the most of the opportunity given to them.”

Yesterday, the team traveled to St. Louis to take on an undefeated Wash. U. team. The Bears had won their past 23 games. Unfortunately, the Tartans were unable to end that streak as they fell 2–0 to Wash. U.

Threatening early on a Rose corner kick, junior Sarah DeWath took a shot on goal in the 18th minute, but Bears goalie Carrie Sear was able to make the save. Just before the half Rose again gained possession in Bears territory, but her shot on goal turned into Sear’s second save of the night.

The scoring all came within three minutes. In the 71st minute of play, Bears substitute Julie Tembunkiart scored from 20 yards out, unassisted, on an open net. Just three minutes later, Caryn Rosoff nailed another 20-yard shot into the far corner of the Tartan net.

This week, the women’s soccer team will host Allegheny College Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. and the University of Chicago Saturday at 1:30 p.m.