Men’s soccer travels for win, remains unbeaten at home

The Carnegie Mellon men’s soccer team picked up two wins over the past week, improving their record to 9-1-1 on the year as they continue to steamroll opponents. The Tartans are still undefeated at home this season, and they demonstrated why against the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg on Tuesday evening.

Tuesday’s match got off to a quick start, and both teams came ready to play. The Tartans began the action with a shot on goal in first minute of the game, and although it sailed high of the goal, the Tartans had made a statement that they brought their A-game. Carnegie Mellon controlled the pace of the game during the first half, but the Bobcats did not stop fighting for the win. They had a few shots on goal of their own in the first half, but none could find the back of the net. The case was the same for the Tartans until the 38th minute when they got a free kick opportunity. Sophomore Anthony Gulli sent the free kick into the field, and it went straight to the center of the goal. As the ball neared the players, sophomore Michael Lin jumped in front of the pack and launched a quick shot over the opposing keeper’s head to put the Tartans up 1–0. The score would remain that way until later in the second half.

Gulli decided he wanted to be a part of both Tartan goals this game, and in the 71st minute he made it a reality. With a defender trailing close behind him, Gulli ran down a loose ball and made a quick touch pass to sophomore Zack Masciopinto. Masciopinto received the pass and instantly sent it to the goal. The ball flew into the back of the net, and Masciopinto’s fifth goal of the season gave the Tartans a comfortable 2–0 lead. That was the nail in the coffin for the Bobcats, but they didn’t give up completely. In the very last second of the game, a Bobcat player made a desperate attempt to break the shutout and was successful. Unfortunately for them, the Bobcats were out of time and the Tartans were victorious.

On Saturday, the Tartans traveled to New York University for University Athletic Association (UAA) play. The Tartans decisively defeated the host Violets by a score of 3–0, improving their record in UAA play to 1–0–1.

This game was unique in that all three scores came within four minutes of each other early in the second half. The game was a slow back and forth for the first half, but the action exploded right as the teams came out for the second half. At the very end of the 55th minute, Masciopinto jumped out in front of a large group of players fighting for the ball in front of the goal and sent it to the back of the net. The shot was too quick and too close to the net for the keeper to save, and the Tartans took a one-point lead. Masciopinto must have had a trick up his sleeve for this game, because he scored another goal 46 seconds after his first. Sophomore Philip Petrakian sent a pass across the front of the net and Masciopinto headed it to the back of the net, giving the Tartans a 2-0 lead in under a minute.

The Tartans refused to slow down, and continued to put shots on goal with a relentless offensive attack. The Violet goalkeeper made eight saves in the match, but it still wasn’t enough to hold the Tartans down. In the 59th minute, Petrakian took a shot that was saved the Violet goalkeeper, but it rebounded straight to junior Ryan Stinebaugh and he returned it to the net, this time succeeding and putting the Tartans up 3-0 with the final score of the game. Sophomore goalkeeper Alec Lam made two crucial saves in the waning minutes of the second half to hold on to the shutout and earn his fourth win in the net this season for the Tartans.

The Tartans go on the road again next week to take on the University of Rochester in another UAA competition on Friday, Oct. 14. The game is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m.